Thursday, March 5, 2009

Small Purchases Add Up

Paying your bill at a store and then using same store credit card for more purchases. This is one of the most common mistakes I see people and I was very guilty of this offense.

Let me paint you a picture. Your bill is due at say Target or Kohl's and you forgot to send the bill. You decide that's ok, I'll just go and make the payment at the store. Now your trapped since going to the store can potentially lead to more purchases.

After making your $50 payment there are some sale items you decide you need to purchase. Going through the store you discover a couple items you also need to buy. Finally at the register you discover you don't have any cash to pay your $75 bill. No problem just use your credit card you just paid the $50.

Does this sound familiar? It should because accepting payments at the store is a great way to guarantee repeat business.

I don't know how many times myself or wife have gone to a store to pay a bill then walk out with more stuff.

If you have a goal of becoming debt free do yourself and favor. Pay your bill online or send it in the mail. Make up a calender for due dates for your credit cards. This also may force you to pay off your bills when you realize how many credit cards you pay each month.

Being debt free is going to be such a joy. I have one goal and that's to have only one bill. Uncle Sam. I'll gladly pay my taxes if I have no car, home or credit card payments.

http://www.debtstrength.com

No comments:

Post a Comment